Rev. Joan A Brooks, pastor of the New Revived United Methodist Church, has a church based on rich Black History. The New Revived United Methodist Church, once known as the Jefferson Methodist Episcopal Church, was established in 1876 in Smithville. It was one of the few remaining churches in the area that kept their doors open as families moved and the number of congregants declined.
Prior to the Civil War, four churches were active in the Smithville area. Harriet Tubman’s brother William Henry Ross married a free woman from Smithville. The marriages between the churches and small communities illustrated the social interaction between free and enslaved people before the end of the war. Recently featured on WBOC, this historic treasure is great place to visit and learn more about the community’s history.
Rev. Brooks became its pastor in 2013. Brooks’ leadership has helped preserve the history and oral tradition of the church contributing to Dorchester County’s history and culture. You can visit this church at 4350 Smithville Rd., Taylors Island, Md.