Dorchester Announces COVID Grant Relief Program
The Dorchester County Council approved the COVID-19 Grant Relief Program at their June 16 to provide economic assistance to small businesses impacted by the ongoing pandemic. Businesses who have not received any state or federal COVID-related aid will be eligible for a $3,000 grant plus $100 per employee up to 50 employees.
To be eligible, the business must be in good standing with the State of Maryland and the County; have a physical address in Dorchester; and demonstrate a loss of revenue since Maryland declared a state of emergency preparedness.
Applications are available online at www.ChooseDorchester.org and must be completed and submitted by June 30, 2020. Paper applications are available Monday through Friday (8:30-4:30) from the Dorchester County Economic Development Office located at the Eastern Shore Innovation Center, 104 Tech Park Drive in Cambridge.
The COVID-19 Grant Relief Program is a fund established to help Dorchester County’s small businesses harmed by the coronavirus pandemic. Grants of $3,000 plus $100 per employee will be awarded. Funding priority will be given to businesses who have not received any federal or state economic assistance at the time of application. The remainder of completed applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis.
Grant Terms & Use of Funds
Dorchester County will provide small business with funding relief for qualifying expenditures including: Payroll; rent or mortgage; operating expenses; inventory acquisition; working capital; personal protective equipment; and/or sanitizers.
Funds cannot be used for capital improvements or personal expenses. A grant report is due 60 days after receipt of funding. All grant funds must be returned to the county if a business fails to reopen.
To qualify, small businesses must:
- Be a for-profit entity
- Have 50 or fewer employees
- Demonstrate a loss of revenue and disruption due to COVID-19
- Certify that they have not received other forms of federal or state COVID-19 assistance or relief at the time of application
- Have been in operation prior to February 1, 2020
- Be in good standing with the State of Maryland, and registered if required by law
- Not currently be in default on any loans from Dorchester County or delinquent on any taxes owed Dorchester County
Churches; non-profit organizations; investment real estate firms; financial institutions; government agencies; and new business ventures are not eligible.
How to Apply – Instructions & Required Documents
Qualifying businesses must complete a two-page application and email, mail or drop off to along with the following attachments:
- 2019 W3 IRS Form
- 2019 Tax Return, Schedule C or Profit/Loss statement
- 2019 W-9 IRS form
- Monthly operating expenses and revenues for 2020 relative to 2019*
* For new businesses that have not yet filed tax returns, attach your business plan showing revenue and expenditure projections
By E-mail: info@ChooseDorchester.org
COVID-19 Grant Relief Program
c/o Dorchester County Economic Development Office
104 Tech Park Drive
Cambridge, MD 21613
Application Review & Approval
Applications will be date and time stamped when received electronically or in person. All fields in the application must be completed and required documents attached in order to be considered.